Media Statement: Tuesday 12 May, 2020
1,462 Moreton Bay Region locals have now received the first instalment of Moreton Bay Regional Council’s $200 rates rebate.
Thanks to the collaborative efforts of the Property & Rating and Information & Communication Technology teams, the vital relief was immediately rolled out for some of the region's most vulnerable residents.
Mayor Peter Flannery said that was just the beginning, with another 1,191 people currently going through approvals.
“As part of our initial $15 million coronavirus stimulus package, we have allocated $7 million to rates relief,” he said.
“This assistance is vital to those who are experiencing financial strain and Council is committed to doing more to support locals in need.
“You will have received a pamphlet in your rates notice explaining how to apply for this rebate.
“Still, I encourage residents to get onto our website to check your eligibility for the two-part payment, which totals $200.
“If you’re an owner-occupier receiving the Federal Government’s coronavirus supplement, you can still apply for the rates rebate today.
“We know many are stretched thin at the moment, so we’ve set up a payment plan for everyone, even if you receive a rebate, to help pay off your rates.
“A lot work has gone into this urgent response from multiple Council teams to create a new online automated process to make the support easily accessible.
“It’s allowed us to eliminate the reliance on manual paper-based forms and the need to congregate in Council’s customer service centres.”
Moreton Bay Regional Council’s new Councillors were sworn in last week, with all agreeing to immediately work on a second stimulus package, in addition to last month’s $15 million package.
For more details on how to apply or enter into a payment plan, visit Council's Rates Rebate page.